"It's not Fall yet. It's not Fall yet. It's not Fall yet."
I am clicking the heels of my ruby slippers together, and telling myself that, with a fair amount of success. The temperature was over 90 F (32.2 C) yesterday, and very nearly that hot today.
And that means we can still eat summer salads!
Chicken Basil Pasta Salad
- 12 oz pasta in your favorite fun shape
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups firmly packed fresh basil
- 3 cups chopped very ripe plum tomatoes
- 2-3 cups diced cooked chicken
- 3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Fresh basil leaves for garnish
Add chopped basil, chicken, tomatoes, cheese, and salt and pepper to taste to the pasta. Mix thoroughly, but gently. Serve in a pretty bowl, garnished with fresh basil leaves.
Serves 8 to 10 as a salad, fewer if it's the main dish.
This salad is a lovely thing to pack for one of those late-season picnics, or dinner al fresco, out on the patio or deck. I'm thinking of toasty garlic bread, a nice wine, and good company....Yes. This is exactly the salad for that.