Thursday, August 7, 2008

FOUND: BOOK JOURNALS BY JACOB DEATHERAGE

Ah, the Trillium Artisans store . Being there means seeing the marvelous creations of artisans who specialize in making art from materials most people would throw away. I spend a lot of time browsing, thinking, Wow. Why didn't I think of that?!, and even more time making a cross of my two forefingers and silently intoning, "Step away from the craft. Step away from the craft!" It's so easy to get sucked into new and fascinating paths! So far, I've managed to resist scrapbooking and felting, and I can't seem to get the hang of knitting. But oh, the lovelies, the goodies you can create if you just learn to do....Okay. I'm digressing here. This is a blog about Jacob Deatherage's Book Journals.

Another digression: Doesn't he have a great last name? Talking to him, I split it into its two components: Death Rage.

"Yeah. Kinda grim, huh?" (I think grim was the word he used. Jacob, feel free to correct my memory!)

I said, "No! Not at all. It's like Raging Against Death. You won't go easily. It's great."

Anyway, Jacob takes old books and turns them into journals you can write in. (Ooooh. I wonder if he does custom orders? Must find out. I want one with graph paper pages, my favorite handwriting paper.)

Tch. I'm so long-winded today. Enough. Pictures are waiting.



Three Favorites

I especially like the three journals above, one for the art on the cover, and the other two for their titles. I mean, a personal journal titled, "The Road to Nowhere"? Or one called "A Marvelous Work and a Wonder"? Perhaps the humility, not to call it pessimism, evidenced in the first title would lead to the production of the second. You just never know, do you?

One of the most charming things about these journals is that the pages aren't all blank. Jacob intersperses plenty of writing material with selected pages from the original book, as in the Dr Seuss below:



What will that next page say, anyway?


When I manned (womanned?) the Trillium store Sunday, Jacob had his books out at the Lents Farmer's Market just around the corner, so I wandered over and shot a photo. This shopper's intensity, I think, mirrors my own:





You can find Jacob's Book Journals here: Book Journals and at the Trillium Artisans store if you're in the Portland, Oregon area. (Clicking on the link will take you to a map, address, and more information. Do check it out if you can!)

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails