Thursday, August 6, 2009

FUN STINKS!

This weekend is the 12th Annual Elephant Garlic Festival, in North Plains, OR. (Directions: Take Hwy 26 west from Portland until you get to the Glencoe Road Exit [Exit 57], turn Left, and follow your nose.)





I've just gotten home from setting up my booth for it, and can now say I've been to North Plains, after all these years of not even knowing where the town was, exactly. It's always been in some nebulous region, past Beaverton, maybe even past Forest Grove (not), just somewhere 'out that way'. I'm amazed such a place can exist so near the big city. It is truly a small town.

After setting up, the DH and I headed for the little strip of businesses on North Plains' main drag, looking for lunch. We settled into a booth at the Rogue Brew Pub, ordered, and then I opened the newspaper the Festival organizer had given me earlier, to see what it had to say about the Festival.

Wow. This thing promises to be all kinds of fun! There's a car show, live music throughout, a car show, a parade, 10K & 2M walk/runs, even a Battle of the Bands. There's a shuttle from the end of the Max line in Hillsboro, and admission to the Festival is free. What more could you ask for? Maybe the all-you-can-eat pancake breakfast at the Senior Center Saturday morning?

They have a great website, with schedules for the festival, music performances, car show, etc., so anything I haven't told you is probably here.

Have you never heard of Elephant garlic? It's lovely stuff, very mild, and it is not garlic intended for a pachyderm's diet. It's huge:




Oh, by the way. There's a recipe for elephant garlic stew on the website that sounds yummy!

3 comments:

Mollye said...

Thanks for sharing. There is also a Gilroy Garlic Festival each year in northern California. Gilroy actually and we had fun while living there in the eighties. I grew garlic in my garden the past two years and am ready to re-seed. It is so nice to be able to have a clove of garlic at your fingertips.
Supposed to be very healthy too. Have a great weekend. Hugs, Mollye

Anonymous said...

Holy cow, I've never seen such huge garlic !

Anonymous said...

WOW! I'd read about elephant garlic but never seen it before - that stuff is seriously HUGE!! (and it may be the only way my husband would settle for ONE clove of garlic per recipe...)

Related Posts with Thumbnails